WITCH CRAFT: BABY APOTHECARY
If your witchling is anything like mine, they shun the brightly colored toys that overflow from toy boxes and prefer to play with pens, lotion bottles, packs of tissues, soap dispensers, actual soap, the list goes on..
I wanted to make a toy for my 18 month old, Holly that she would actually play with. I came up with the baby Apothecary. These travel sized bottles are one of Holly's favorite things to play with and chew on so when I saw a three pack in a neat little bag at Micheals, inspiration struck. By filling the bottles with fragrant herbs, you create a sweet sensory activity for your toddler! Since the tops of the bottle I used have a push up flip cap, Holly can "open" the bottle to smell the herbs without making a mess. My daughter absolutely loves the final product! She shakes the bottles all around, chews them, and most adorably of all, smells the herbs and shouts "mmmmmmm!" We used Rose, Cammomile, and Lavender but since she enjoys them so much I might make some other ones using different herbs. As she gets older, she will learn to identifly each herb by sight and smell! To make your own, follow the instructions below
- Plastic travel bottles with a pop top
- Fragrant and colorful herbs
- Hot glue gun
- Address labels
- Fill each bottle with a different herb. Leave some room at the top so baby can shake it!
- Apply hot glue to the threads on the neck of the bottle and twist the cap on immediately. Let dry and check to make sure the cap is on super securely
- Make labels for the bag and bottles. I ended up not labeling the bottles at this time since Holly puts them in her mouth, but I probably will in the future
- Present them to your baby witch and show them how to sniff from the top of the bottle while you name the herb! Then let baby play all day, shake them around, clink them together, etc.
Make it Magic
The baby apothecary is the perfect tool to teach your children about the properties of magical herbs and they're uses. Learning how to identity herbs (and crystals) is a wonderful way for children to live a magickal life!
*Please be sure to supervise your child while they play with their apothecary*